Saturday, June 5, 2010

Seeing through a mirror dimly - 1st Corinthians 13:12

I had no particular agenda regarding when I would make a Word Picture for the verse whose reference is the dedicated blog's name. I just happened to be outside taking photos of something else when I noticed that my wife's expression and the reflection of the bird feeders and clematis flowers and so forth were absolutely perfect for this text.



I went with a translation I had not previously even known about- the World English Bible. This is a fascinating and commendable project. Their goal is to create a public domain Bible in the tradition of the King James. Among scholars, the New American Standard Bible has long been held in high esteem, but its licensing is very restrictive. The English Standard Version is a very well done project which tries to maintain a high degree of accuracy to the original languages while still keeping as much of the King James' "ear feel" as possible. The ESV has very generous licensing terms, but the WEB had EXACTLY the text as I would have rendered it. My wife and I were half way into picking through the text when I came across the WEB.

In the process of looking at the different English translations, I came across one which has a very clunky cadence but conveys the Greek idiom especially well and in a way worth mentioning given my choice of photo for this verse.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (Darby Translation)

12For we see now through a dim window obscurely, but then face to face; now I know partially, but then I shall know according as I also have been known.

My wife of 15 years as of yesterday & Pentecost Sunday would wish me to point out that the Greek word used refers specifically to polished metal plates which is what what they used in that time. These were usually made of precious or semi-precious metal such as silver or bronze. Look at any silver object which hasn't been polished in a while... that darkened film which dims the luster of the metal and makes it reflect poorly is the idea here.

People who know me or us from other walks of life will remember that I produced a video using similar images and a poem I composed. Ironically, it was one of the most artistically superior and involved projects I did before I myself suddenly became beset by unyielding and untreatable pain.

I hope I can create several other versions of this. My hope with each verse I work with is to provide at least two versions: one in landscape, one in portrait. This way they are most easily adapted to any need- care cards, posters, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment